Teaching & Learning Support
Special Interest Group
About the Teaching & Learning Support SIG
The group can meet “virtually” using the JISCmail email list: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/aulc-tls
The aim of the SIG is to help members share and improve their knowledge of technical matters and language learning resources. Join to discuss the needs of teachers and learners and exchange technical information and solve problems of AV and computer use in language learning and teaching. The above is also the list for identifying and exchanging language resources.
Meetings will generally be held as parallel sessions during AULC AGMs. Extra meetings can be arranged as the group decides.
Prime areas for this group
- Technical innovation
- Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL)
- Broadcasting – radio, television, satellite – digital technology, etc.
- Language laboratories – analogue, digital and related technologies.
- Missed recordings – opportunities to obtain vital radio & TV recordings (Under ERA licence)
- Information about new products and technologies
- Copyright & licencing issues including negotiation with publishers
- Monitoring possible changes in legislation affecting television & radio recording
- Cataloguing and database methods and technologies
- Staff Development
- Training courses – British Universities Film and Video Council (BUFVC)
- Tom’s Hardware: The authority on tech – a very useful reference to the latest ICT hardware & software. Digital video is well covered
- Off-air recording in educational establishments – presentation by the Educational Recording Agency (ERA)